Welcome to the e-learning modules for health professionals involved in Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) diagnosis.
The e-learning modules are designed to provide clinicians with:
- an introduction to FASD including characteristics and manifestations
- an understanding of the risks and effects of alcohol use in pregnancy and how to assess alcohol use in pregnancy
- information needed to conduct a diagnostic assessment using the three diagnostic criteria
- general principles for discussing the diagnosis, developing a management plan and supporting families and individuals after a FASD diagnosis
- an understanding of referral and screening criteria for FASD
The development of Australian Guide to the Diagnosis of FASD and the E-Learning modules were led by the University of Sydney and Telethon Kids Institute and funded by the Australian Government Department of Health.
Please read the following information before commencing the modules
About the modules
- The modules are designed to be self-paced and can be completed in more than one session
- Each module includes learning objectives and assessment questions at the end
- Video and audio segments are embedded to provide more information and a reference list is included at the end of each module
- After completing the module/s please complete the brief participant evaluation survey - your feedback is very much appreciated
- Module 1: What is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder?
- Module 2: Alcohol use in pregnancy
- Module 3: Conducting a diagnostic assessment
- Module 3a: Diagnosing prenatal alcohol exposure
- Module 3b: Diagnosis - Neurodevelopmental impairment
- Module 3c: Diagnosis - Sentinel facial features
- Module 4: Referral and screening guidelines for FASD
- Module 5: Support and intervention after diagnosis
Certificate of Completion
When all modules and the evaluation component have been successfully completed, there is an opportunity to request a Certificate of Completion as documentation for professional development purposes. The system will automatically check that all modules have been completed. If your request for a certificate is approved, an automatically generated certificate which includes your name (this will be generated from your registration details) and the date of completion will be available to download.
Accessing the modules
The modules are hosted on a learning design platform called Smart Sparrow. Smart Sparrow uses HTML5 technology that runs on the latest and most secure browsers. The minimum requirements are:
||Internet Explorer 10
Commencing the modules
You need to register before you can access the modules
When you register you will be asked to create a profile containing your name and email address. The name you use to register for the e-learning modules will be used on the system-generated Certificate of Completion. You will also be asked three demographic questions.
Please send an email if you have any questions regarding the content or issues with the modules.
Read more about the Project Teams and Partners