People with FASD have challenges.
Every person with FASD will have strengths and difficulties in different areas. This depends on the parts of the brain that have been most damaged by exposure to alcohol. There is no 'one size fits all' for people with FASD and not everyone will experience the same difficulties.
“I can never change the rules on him. If I vary from the routine once, that is his new rule. I have to be extremely consistent.”
“Our kids struggle with a lot of things…”
- I don’t get him to sleep till 2 or 3 in the morning, then he wakes up at 6am
- One addiction after another
- Without a plan or advance warning my son loses it. It’s impacted on every part of his development – and he struggles
- They get put in the too hard basket at school
- They can’t shop, can’t do money, have difficulty with time and time management
- My child gets overwhelmed at the shops – all the lights, the sounds
“I am on standby every hour of the day to respond.”